What is the 5 Day 11 Plus Summer Course?
The Summer Intensive Course is specifically tailored to improve your child’s grades in the run-up to their upcoming 11 Plus entrance examinations. It is suited to students who have started preparation late and are required to cover the curriculum in a short period of time, as well as for those who have worked through the year and wish to hone their skills and achieve higher marks in their exams.
It’s no secret that a child’s academics tend to falter over the long summer break, for this reason it’s important they revisit the most commonly featured subjects of the exam to fill any remaining gaps in knowledge and strengthen their understanding of those already learned. The week has lessons based on the four key elements of your child’s 11 plus admissions process: Maths, English, Reasoning (verbal/non-verbal) and Interview Skills. Our Maths and English syllabus includes specialised topics such as creative comprehension, thinking skills and puzzles.
We ensure that all important topics and areas are covered throughout the week and detailed feedback on your child is recorded as the course progresses. Our interview sessions teach your child what to expect on the day of the interview, how to tackle more challenging interview questions and how to confidently take part in group interviews.
The course is limited in class size which allows our tutors valuable one-to-one time to personalise the course teachings to each child’s individual needs and abilities. Classwork is provided along with homework for each topic covered so your child can continue their learning at home. This enables them to revise what was taught in class or practice topics our tutors have identified as sticking points before taking their exams.
How is the course structured?
The Summer Intensive Course takes place over 5 days (Monday to Friday) and provides your child with 5.5 hours a day of intensive tuition. The classes are interactive and encouraging, with a team of expert tutors who keep children engaged and excited throughout the week.
The course begins and ends with mock examinations conducted in timed test conditions. This gives the opportunity for your child to become more comfortable with the format of their upcoming exams, as well as allowing us insight into their current strengths/weaknesses. These assessments enable us to tailor your child’s week, as well as providing detailed feedback and advice to parents upon completion of the course.
Here are some example topics of what the Summer holiday courses cover:
- Understanding algebraic language and using algebraic formulas to solve problems (maths)
- Mastering the relationship between fractions, decimals, percentages and ratios (maths)
- Finding the area, perimeter and volume of common shapes (maths)
- Extracting information from tables, charts, graphs and pie charts (maths)
- Solving complex worded questions and problems in the fastest methods (maths and puzzles)
- Comprehension – answering to score top marks (English)
- Improving creative writing to gain maximum marks (English)
- Analysis and problems solving (Creative Comprehension, maths and reasoning)
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar revision (English)
- Vocabulary (English and verbal-reasoning)
- Logical deduction skills (Verbal reasoning)
- Spatial awareness (Non-verbal reasoning and maths)
- Identifying similarities between shapes and words (verbal and non-verbal reasoning)
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection (maths and non-verbal reasoning)
- Interview skills and exam technique
(Parents will receive a full timetable a week before the course start date)
Children are welcome to join us for multiple weeks. Each week’s course will be different, so children who have attended our courses previously will extend their learning and will not be repeating the same content.